Closures for Peregrine Falcon Protection
June 22, 2017
The Peregrine Falcon is a fully protected species in California and a special status species in Yosemite due to its sensitivity to disturbance during the nesting season. To protect this species, the Superintendent of Yosemite National Park is designating peregrine nesting cliffs as areas closed to visitor use, including climbing and slack-lining activities, until peregrine chicks have fledged and dispersed from those areas in 2017. Note: This updated notice includes protection for an active Golden Eagle nest, also a protected species in California and Yosemite. By order of the Superintendent of Yosemite National Park and under authority of Title 36, Code of Federal Regulations, Section 1.5(a) and Section (a)(1): The following areas are closed to visitor use, including climbing activities, beginning March 1, 2017 and remaining in effect until July 15, 2017, or until further notice:
- Arch Rock Area – Lower Merced Canyon. All routes above the walk-off ledge, above the main wall at Arch Rock, including Arch Rock Pinnacle are closed. The main wall, which includes all routes from “Dirty Little Secret” east to “Grokin”, plus “Juliette’s Flake”, “Extra Credit”, “Now”, “Omakara” and “Later” are open. When possible, please refrain from using the walk-off ledge (effective as of April 26).
- B.O.L.T. Wall – Immediately southwest of Leaning Tower. Closure includes all routes on the B.O.L.T. Wall.
- Camp 4 Wall –The climbing route “Good Ol’ Boy” is closed. All other routes remain open (effective as of June 22).
- El Capitan, Southwest Face – Closure includes all routes between and including “Peter Pan” east to the “Dihedral Wall” (effective as of April 26).
- Fairview Dome, West Face – Closure includes all routes between and including “Heart of Stone” to “Lucky Streaks”. All other routes remain open.
- Half Dome, Northwest Face – The route “Queen of Spades” is closed. All other routes remain open.
- Half Dome, South Face – Overlooking Little Yosemite Valley. Closure includes all routes between and including “Autobahn” east to “Lost Again” (effective as of June 22).
- Hetch Hetchy – Closed area includes all routes on Kolana Rock.
- Parkline Slabs – Lower Merced Canyon. Closure for an active Golden Eagle nest. Closure includes the top 4 pitches of the “Eagle’s Eyrie” climbing route and top 3 pitches of the unnamed route directly to the left (climber’s left) of “Eagle’s Eyrie”. All other routes, the first 6 pitches of “Eagle’s Eyrie”, and the first 5 pitches of the unnamed route to the left of “Eagle’s Eyrie” remain open (effective as of April 26).
- The Rostrum – Lower Merced Canyon. Closure includes climbing routes on all sides of the Rostrum formation. Super Nova and the Jungle Gym areas remain open. Slack-lining is prohibited at the summit and the top of the adjacent cliff.
- Wawona Dome – Closure includes all routes between and including “Cream of the Crop” to “Bark at the Moon”. From the base, the first pitch of the closed routes between and including “Lunar Eclipse” to “Bird in Flight” will remain open.
- Yosemite Point – Closure includes all routes between and including “Czech Route” and “Yosemite Point Buttress”. At the base, the first 3 pitches of “Czech Route” and the first 5 pitches of “Yosemite Point Buttress” remain open.
CLOSURES are LIFTED at Lost Arrow Spire, the main wall of Arch Rock, El Capitan Southeast Face, Rhombus Wall, Mt. Broderick and Wapama Cliff.
Nest sites will be monitored to provide current information on nesting status and to ensure prompt re-opening of these areas. Closures are subject to change based on current nesting status. Your cooperation in complying with these temporary restrictions is greatly appreciated.
The designation will remain in place until rescinded.