Volunteer Position Description for Yosemite Climber Steward Climber Stewards are volunteers who work with Yosemite Climbing Management (YCM) under the auspices of the NPS Volunteers in the Parks program. They...
Area Protection – Peregrine Nesting
March 1, 2017
The peregrine falcon is a fully protected species in California and a special status species in Yosemite due to its sensitivity to disturbance during the nesting season. To protect this species, the superintendent of Yosemite National Park is designating peregrine nesting cliffs as areas closed to visitor use, including climbing and slack-lining activities, until peregrine chicks have fledged and dispersed from those areas in 2017. By order of the superintendent of Yosemite National Park and under authority of Title 36, Code of Federal Regulations, Section 1.5(a) and Section (a)(1): The following areas are identified as cliffs closed to visitor use, including climbing activities, beginning March 1, 2017 and remaining in effect until July 15, 2017, or until further notice:
- Arch Rock Area – All routes at Arch Rock are closed.
- B.O.L.T. Wall – Immediately southwest of Leaning Tower. Closure includes all routes on the B.O.L.T. Wall.
- Mt. Broderick – West of Liberty Cap. Closure includes the entire SE face of Mt. Broderick opposite Liberty Cap.
- El Capitan, Southeast Face – Closure includes all big wall routes between and including New Dawn, Reticent Wall, Wall of Early Morning Light, and Mescalito. The first 10 pitches of the closed routes, from the base of El Capitan, remain open.
- Fairview Dome, West Face – Tuolumne Meadows. Closure includes all routes between and including Heart of Stone to Lucky Streaks. All other routes remain open.
- Half Dome, Northwest Face – The route Queen of Spades is closed. All other routes remain open.
- Hetch Hetchy – Closed area includes Wapama Cliff (immediately west of Wapama Falls) and Kolana Rock.
- Lost Arrow Spire – Closure includes all routes on Lost Arrow Spire (Lost Arrow Spire Direct, Lost Arrow Tip, and Lost Arrow Spire Chimney). Slacklining is prohibited at the summit and the top of the adjacent cliff.
- Rhombus Wall – Above Ahwahnee Meadow. Closure includes all routes west of Super Slide to the Ahwahnee Ramps, including all routes on the Rhombus Wall.
- The Rostrum – Lower Merced Canyon. Closure includes climbing routes on all sides of the Rostrum formation. Super Nova and the Jungle Gym area remain open. Slack-lining is prohibited at the summit and the top of the adjacent cliff.
- Wawona Dome – Closure includes all routes between and including Cream of the Crop to Bark at the Moon. From the base, the first pitch of the closed routes between and including Lunar Eclipse to Bird in Flight will remain open.
- Yosemite Point – Closure includes all routes between and including Yosemite Point Buttress and Yosemite Point Southwest Face, Min-Ne-Ah. At the base, the first 5 pitches remain open.
Nest sites will be monitored to provide current information on nesting status and to ensure prompt re-opening of these areas. Closures are subject to change based on current nesting status. Your cooperation in complying with these temporary restrictions is greatly appreciated.
The designation will remain in place until rescinded.